Monday, November 2, 2015

Updated Artist Statement


In my painting, I am influenced by street art. I paint objects, people, animals, and abstract forms. I use color and form to communicate mood, to convey emotion, to express feeling. I usually paint people, animals, and objects disentangled from their usual environments. I find this isolation highlights their intrinsic human made or natural beauty. Iconic cultural, social, and religious images, outside of their expected surroundings, are freed to be reconsidered and reinterpreted. I seek to provoke thought with unusual or unexpected compositions. My work is political, religious, and spiritual; rooted in the human experience. My work at times prods viewers to discomfort and at others generates a smile, it is rarely neutral. My pieces are usually open ended. In many ways each piece is completed with the viewer's experience. I am keen to explore my connection with the viewer through my work. 
Born in NYC, raised in NJ, I have been a college administrator, stay at home dad, bartender/waiter, teacher, carpenter/contractor/designer.

Since early 2013, I have lived and worked in Hudson, New York. I am the artist-in-residence at 46 Green Street Studios and am helping to develop and manage a creative center which has studio spaces for artists and Gallery @ 46 Green Street Studios which I co-own and co-curate.

No comments:

Post a Comment